Jawar Mohammed’s Clarification on Minnesota Speech

In recent weeks, several video clips from my speeches at various events have been systematically edited to present a narrative that portrays me in the worst moral and political light. The latest of these doctored videos are pieced together to create the impression that I was advocating violence against Christians in Ethiopia. Needless to say, this is a calculated and horrendous political strategy so commonplace in the Ethiopian political landscape. Let me say as clearly as I can: I find such views so revolting and so repugnant that it has no place in any civil political discourse. Whatever motivated those who engaged in EPRDF style character assassination, this past week has given us an impeccable evidence about the state of our media and the place of truth, and journalistic ethics in their operations.  It is also ironic that many of the individuals and  groups engaged in this propaganda are the same people who  went a long way to disparage me as ’naïve’,  ‘spineless’, and ‘passivist’ for writing and speaking about nonviolence. Given the sensitivity of the issue and the malicious manner in which these videos were edited and presented, I want to take this opportunity to explain the context in which that particular speech was delivered.

On May 25, 2013, I was invited to speak at a town hall gathering organized by Risala International, a consortium of three Minnesota-based mosques. There were several prominent spiritual and secular leaders from various communities in North America. Present were also representatives from the Minnesota delegation to the U.S. congress. Based on my own observation and the organizers account, the audience consisted of Muslim Oromos, non-Muslim Oromos, non-Oromo Muslims, and Ethiopians of other faiths.

As I do with every invitation, I asked the organizers to give me a specific topic to address, a language of their preference, and format of the presentation. In this case, the organizers asked me to analyze whether the Oromo struggle and ongoing Muslim protests for religious freedom are complementary or contradictory. I prepared my presentation in Afan Oromo, however, after learning there were attendees who do not understand the Oromo language, I ended my comments with a rather condensed summary in Amharic. Given the moderator was flying the ‘times up’ sign on my face, I did not have the privilege of explaining my point in details

It was at the end of that comment that I made a statement which led to a controversy and used by interested group to advance their own political agenda. I said where I grew up, where Muslims make up majority, there is a broad consensus that people would stand up and fight; and the saying goes, they would fight with what is traditionally known as Menca in Afaan Oromo. Here I was trying to underscore the point that even if politically powerless, being numerical majority brings about a sense of collective security which leads people to confront the abusive state  head on forcefully. Hence, this serves as a restraining factor against those who seek to undermine their dignity.  In contrast, where the politically oppressed is also numerically outnumbered, the sense of vulnerability might lead to submission to injustice; consequently enabling the oppressive system to violate their rights with no fear of repercussion.

Every normative community has its own unique way of assigning and discerning meaning in a text or utterance. The expression I used is a sarcastic expression used for a humorous effect. Although it did not occur to me at the time, sarcasm, like satire and irony, works precisely on the slippage between what is said and what is meant. It is often joked among Oromos that Manca is a weapon of pride in Hararghe, as Shimala (a stick) is in Shawa, Eboo (a spear) is among the Arsi, Togorri for Karrayyuu  and so on. These cultural expressions make meaning only within the cultural geography in which they are uttered. I suspect that the majority of the participants attending the consortium understood that the expression is intended not as a statement of fact but as sarcastic expression that signifies almost the opposite of what it seems to say. However, when several versions of the video—some of it doctored to generate the political effects needed by my detractors—several friends, colleagues, and other individuals who did not understand this cultural context expressed their disappointment, hurt, and even a rage. I fully regret these unintended consequences and the lack of foresight on my part.

I understand that a lot of Ethiopians disagree with my views and I welcome all constructive debates and criticisms. However, taking my statements out of context and juxtaposing unrelated events for mere character assassination is not only malicious but also an outdated political tactic. In this era of heightened instant communication lies have a shelf life of minutes before being countered by facts. But during that short lifespan, they could cause serious harm, not so much to their targeted subject, but more so to the unsuspecting general public.

If it is of any help, those who want to mislead the public should know that I am a product of an interfaith marriage. My father was a Muslim and my mother was from an Orthodox Christian background. Moreover, my wife is a Lutheran. I do not advocate religious freedom and interfaith understanding and tolerance because it is fad of the time. I was raised with and live by those values.

Now let me return to the real issue at stake. I would like to remind all that the defamation campaigns, including the distortion of this video followed the  Al Jazeera program that focused on the plight of the Oromo people, in which I was a panelist. The frenzy has now gone beyond defamation and verbal threat. Abdi Fite, a young Oromo journalist was recently ambushed in Washington DC, physically attacked and threatened with knife to his throat. This attack happened following a video Abdi released sharing his perspective on being an Oromo. Those who are trying to silence the Oromo voice through physical and symbolic violence should reflect on history and revise their strategy. My reading of history is that  targeting Oromo individuals have not yielded the intended result of destroying the struggle of Oromo People.

The Oromo people have a just cause that no amount of violence nor distortion can delegitimize. The Oromo nation has produced and continue to produce sons and daughters that pick up and carry the flag when one comrade falls. For those who are still attempting to recycle the old divide and destroy tactic, be sure that Oromos have  a time tested culture and system that cherishes its diversity  and  promotes pluralism. Oromos are masters of coexistence with their neighbors. They are also fierce warriors in defense of their sovereignty. The just Oromo struggle is about restoring dignity to a  people who have been ruthlessly denigrated, and violently subjugated. It is a struggle that gives back to the people their right to self determination in its fullest sense. This sacred goal must be achieved no matter the cost.

107 Responses to Jawar Mohammed’s Clarification on Minnesota Speech

1. Sisay July 20, 2013 at 9:14 pm

May God bless you. We understood you already. I am a christian Ethiopian and already understood the drama before you told us your wife is a Lutheran!

2. Waaqoo July 20, 2013 at 9:24 pm

Thanks Jawar. You are not alone and your view is not only yours. It’s is the view of all of us. But you brought it to the light. Those people trying to attack you verbally are nothing but arrogant, selfish and nonsense. That is what they know, they can’t think beyond their arrogance limitation. The more they roar at us the more stronger and unified we are to realize our goal. Keep doing your great job !

3. kedir July 20, 2013 at 9:39 pm

When u tell truth to z oppressor, they feel it as an attack
    they r very far away from z concept of justice and equality, still now feudal mentality exists among habesha diaspora, u did good job bro, now it is z time of awakening for a politically passive people like me,” I am oromo first”too

4. Momi July 20, 2013 at 10:53 pm

My friend it is not a drama like ‘Harakat’ of TPLF. Rather his video is clear and no one edited it. He was with some reason bluffing the hidden domain unconsciously. If Jawar is educated and living in a country where peoples are respected regardless of anything, then u must be struggling with something bad in ur head..that is hater. By the way I was reading and following him so long. I am not pushing him about his stand about Oromo, rather I am hating his long very long poisoned tongue advocating to separate our people. FYI, Muslims and Christians were there before Jawar come to earth.

• Finfine July 21, 2013 at 10:37 am

Dear Momi, the irony is why the Abyssinian misinterpreted the speech by slicing and dicing to undermine Oromo’s national aspiration by any cost, and why majority of Oromo sons and daughters understand the speech in different way and qeue behind Jawar finding out his comment nothing offensive in reality except for some who have deep hatred to Oromo people. The other issue here is, the incident and hot-debate that this video conseqented. This video searched and edited to merely defame Jawar Muhammed following his appearance on Aljazeera and comment on Oromo political issue in most agreeable way by asserting his Oromoness. Put it simply, this video would have even remebered if Jawar didn’t say ‘I am Oromo first” on Aljazeera. What I understand two things from this. The racial hatred Abyssinian have toward Oromo, second I have come to understand Abyssinian carry two mind, one is evil, the other is good because this particular video issued one months earlier before Jawar appearance on Aljazeera. Then they used their good brain. Once they hear from Jawar, “I am Oromo first” their evil mind start to knot their tracherous action. The whole objective nothing else except destroying Oromo’s identity and forcing us to denounce our identity as their forefathers did

• kemal juneydi April 21, 2014 at 12:23 pm

jawar is our hero. I know the habeshas are against him b/c they do not like oromo,jawar is oromo so they don’t like him.This is not new for us.Those who talk bad of jawar are naftagnas who wish to return to feudal system.but such mentality must be eradicated.

5. Finfine July 20, 2013 at 11:01 pm

I think even first grader understand what your intention is, it is clear Nafxanyaa always try to slice and dice what people says and play political game.

6. Qabrare! July 20, 2013 at 11:09 pm

We-oromo have better sense and IQ to understand What is nice and what is not! so please Jawar feel free if there is sense of being an oromo no one can question your speech all were fact and no need to justify. Still people like momi should get fuck on their ass. Momi fuck you on behalf of all oromos.

7. Pingback: Jawar Mohammed’s Clarification on Minnesota Speech - Ayyaantuu News Online

8. Alfeth ahmed July 20, 2013 at 11:30 pm

Happy ramadan! Alhokber alhokber

9. Semeneh Ayalew July 20, 2013 at 11:41 pm

Jawar thanks for your measured response and effort to clarify certain aspects of your speech on the occasion you mentioned above. This makes me respect you even more! The smear campaign that was directed against you by some uncultured people who grabbed this opportunity to defame you mean to detract you from the reasoned engagement you have been able to make with different political opinion groups in the Ethiopian political landscape. I am sure you know more than many of us that commitment to nonviolent political struggle requires persistence and standing your ground even when the boat is shaking. This will make you a better politician and a person, fit to perform well in even more difficult adversities that you may be facing in your future political activism. I am glad you are rising above the dust…and if you persist you will continue rising up!

10. Pingback: Oromos are masters of coexistence with their neighbors | Advocacy for Oromia

11. Boona July 21, 2013 at 1:25 am

Momi,

What you should fear most are the savages that attacked Abdi. Jawar spoke, but did not act on anything. Your barbarians used Knife to cut the throat of a peaceful person. We now know where you are heading.

To all Oromos,

Amhara thugs have began to implement once more what their fore fathers have done on our people. Now it is your responsibility to safe guard yourself, your community and the oromo people at large. We have the first glimpse of the chracter of what they call “Ethiopia”.

12. Tikuret July 21, 2013 at 2:09 am

Amhara elites continue to destroy an already destroyed country by fighting every one in that country right and left. Eritrea is gone. Oromo and Ogaden somalis are on their way. Tigray is beyond their reach… and Amhara will never again govern Tigray.

Dying Amhara elites will not even own proper Amhara areas like Gonder or Gojam. Part of Gonder is already taken by Tigres. Sooner or later, Wello will be united with its Fatherland, Oromia. Gojam will be part of larger Oromia and Benshangule.

The only place Amhara remnants will exist will be DC. Even there, their kids are African Americans at best, and criminals( dureye) at the worst. So lets comfort our dying friends by going for their Lekeso and bury them with their evil deeds.

13. esu July 21, 2013 at 2:37 am

“The just Oromo struggle is about restoring dignity to a people who have been ruthlessly denigrated, and violently subjugated. It is a struggle that gives back to the people their right to self determination in its fullest sense. This sacred goal must be achieved no matter the cost.”

Dear jawar, as an educated person and aspiring politician, the simple thing you should have done is explain the issues in less than one paragraph and appologize for those whom you may feel hurt thier feelings. I thinck colombia may have some course on media and public relation. Please take some courses or hire a PR firm. What ever you wrote above is useless, Iam always right mentality. I smell you more of neftegna than oromo right activist.
    Just learn to say sorry.

14. Bulii July 21, 2013 at 2:48 am

Ajaa’iba!! By z way I didnt know your wife is a christian, anyways obbo Jawar; in the future when you make speech on the public try to focus on the Oromomummaa and personalize the religion. As a young oromoo chritian I was anoyed last time.
    Note: Religion and polotics doesnt go together.
    Oromiya Shall be free!!

15. Abdii July 21, 2013 at 2:59 am

Jawar, once again we appreciate what you have put in this piece of response. You beat the savage Abyssinians again by clarifying on your edited speech. The uncultured, savage, mean and idiot Habeshas will continue to defame you because they are full of hatred and phobia of people who are sharp, brave, and smart like you. Remember, why they killed Lij Iyasu. It is because Lij Iyasu was progressive, loved people and liberal. That incident has taught the Oromo nation a good lesson that it is absolutely impossible to live with these evil people. Amharas represent a dying society. That is why they are enemy with every people of the nation. I remember one top EPRDF official once said “we have already killed and burried the Amharas”. I always thank the late Ethiopian pm for silencing the Amharas.

• yibekal July 21, 2013 at 6:50 am

@abdii: It is normal in politics that ppl get killed for the advantage of the other end- John F Kennedy was assassinated( because of his progressive thought), Russia, China, USA and other are still doing same. So, they were not idiot in killing lij Iyasu( if they did it really, I don’t know history much), that is normal in politics.
      If you are smart enough then you learn and enjoy those sorts of things from the brilliance Jawar. Don’t be a hater. We all love to see Ethiopia as a country that offers opportunity equally

16. Seife July 21, 2013 at 3:07 am

Jawar, I think you better admit the mistake you made than trying to convince as if you are misquoted. This is your and your political master minds stand. That is what exactly did in Harar, Jimma and so on. I wish you admitted that you have touched a very sensitive issue and chosen very destructive ways. Jawar as an emerging politician, you should have known that you are carefully watched and should have been careful from passing politically incorrect messages. Rather as a young politician you should have tried to understand history and come up with some constructive ideas that make our country to build democratic system and move forward. What makes you different from those who have killed others from each side in our past history. By the way Ethiopia has self killing history. We have been in long term civil wars. We killed each other. In any fight there is a winner and a defeated. So talking about our ancestors’ mistake doesn’t benefit us at all. I know we should take a lesson from our past and try to build a system that make us to live together. If you are anticipating a power for retaliating your so called historical enemy, then you know what is the gonna be the consequence. Please being an amharafobic is not expected from you. You should go back and tell to your Oromo brothers that the guarantee that make us live together with other Ethiopians is building a democratic system that respect individual and groups right. Thanks

• Boona July 21, 2013 at 2:05 pm

Seife,

You must also go to your corner of Neftegna politicians and tell them that “Interhamwe” tactics of slushing the throat of an Oromo youth while talking about “civility” and living together does not fool anybody.
      Historically Oromos have been victims of themselves. They never took their aspiration to the next level. They talk big but settle for less. They did not cut the throats of settlers when they wanted to be free. They had a very “soft” spot for humanity. They had to pay a dear price for that. Today we see how far the children of Neftegnas and feudal lords can go even in a free country such as the USA. They are daring us to go to the next level.

Seifu,

Don’t preach what you don’t respect.

• abreham July 23, 2013 at 1:16 am

Jawar at least it is easy to proof where you video is altered don’t try to create a scape goat. I cant take the apology genuine unless you do that. so simple why are you bluffing?

17. Bb July 21, 2013 at 4:53 am

It always surprises me you (jawar) actually attended UWC for 2 years. For me those two years were the best time of my life. Something I can always look back and think about the great values I have learned. Our mission was always simple “to unite people from different culture and background using eduction Asa force.” But you (jawar) have been the worst example of this movement. I have been reading your articles and watching your interviews or your speeches. I can’t believe you actually went to college especially to Stanford. It is very amazing how dumb a person can be!

18. modern ethiopia July 21, 2013 at 5:23 am

My brothers and sisters, please do not rush to concluding the amhara did what happend to abdii, there are a lot of amharas who belive and support your struggle to freedom and democracy in ethiopia, there are many amharas who understand what was happend to oromos and other ethnic societies in ethiopia was wrong, probably, It could be TPLF/EPRDF technique, which we have already seen many times, even if it is done by one sick amhara, please do not do the same mistake, what others did to you, do not judge all amharas, by what one sick people do at DC. LONG LIVE OROMO, LONG LIVE ETHIOPIA!!

• Abdii July 21, 2013 at 3:11 pm

No, No, No way!
      We know that kind of cowardly act is only and only done by Amharas, nobody else. Tigrayans have little problem with what the brave Oromo kid, Abdii Fite has said. We know the racist and coward Amharas very well. They can only talk behind once back. They have been murdering young Oromos on the streets of Finfinnee. Amharas are our historical enemies and they will
      pay the price for their killings, murders, assassinations and ethnic cleansing for almost 130 years.

• abdulbasit August 26, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Dear modern Ethiopia, I really share ur idea. The other thing is we have to respect each other to get to the success we dream. Please also be informed that I never and ever hate Amhara and other nationalities, similarly I will never allow anyone to denounce my being identity OROMO.

19. Adiye Yenie July 21, 2013 at 5:58 am

20. Yonas July 21, 2013 at 7:33 am

I was worried that the tide of enemy politics hitherto practiced in Ethiopia has swallowed you. But, thanks for your statement which recovered my hope in our generation’s capability of solving the hitherto and the up coming problems of our country. As to me, I strongly believe shifting the way we perform politics and the manners we speak our difference have much to do with the outcome of our politics.It is owing to this fact that my hope rested on the new generation ability of doing win-win interaction and performing deliberative politics !

21. Injifanno July 21, 2013 at 7:48 am

OROMO love you because you stand for turth itti fufi si wajjiin jirra g/k/ bilisumma jawhar

22. borkena July 21, 2013 at 8:02 am

I don’t have a problem with jawar for being oromo first but he cant publicly saying slaying Christians with mecca or whatever you call it is right. His rethoric is not fit with western style of life.He is not living in fucken bale ,harerghe,or somewhere in the middle east. This is US .promoting Al-quida style hate or propaganda will cost him a lot. Let him go somewhere in arsi or whatever and promote Islamic terrorism not in the US. For others who dream free Oromia ,I bet you you will not do it even you are given another 200 years. You will remain crying ,dreaming,and demonstrating all the rest of your life and your kids life. We the Tigreans did it and it remains in control. For any response I will comeback with a good amhara TERET that depicted you well.

23. eljaa July 21, 2013 at 8:06 am

Jawar, that is great, I have been in Hararge, people frequently use the term “Mencha” it is understandable it dose not mean what most people in the social media talked about it. I think in the future you have to select expression that will not cause confusion, what you speak for certain people may end up in YouTube and Facebook and create some kind of confusion. I still have lot of respect for you.

24. Tola Gamachis July 21, 2013 at 8:29 am

Thanks Jawar, you are hero for all oppressed people living in Ethiopia.
    I would suggest Jawar to give analysis or talk on religion and politics in Ethiopia.

25. Samson July 21, 2013 at 8:32 am

Jawar did the damage to himself more than any opponent of his could do. For those who disassociate themselves with his notion, this is a blessing and seen him cut off is seeing like the problems Meles took with him. In other words, his missions for democracy fell in his brain crack and lost the fire that people wanted to see in him the emerging unifying power. He lost it all and I am sure he lost credibility with the non-Ethiopians who might have hoped he would be the power among the young generation. He proved all wrong or all right about him.

I have heard that he was becoming frustrated and politically isolated and did not sit well with the political communities here and there. He has felt marginalized and undermined and I believe this is a revolt against those, the political community to nature a new notion where he can grow his ambition and image he has in the back of his mind. Which ever way, Jawar is not going to get attention any more and he has to settle for village people leadership, not regional, not national and definitely not international. I hope that is not his road, but it looks to me.

• Chalew July 22, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Well the Amharas were never his audience any way and dont think a rad or tv program as such as esat would make any damage to any one because it is only watched by them,Him saying oromo first is eating the vast majority of Amharas. That is where all this character assassination is coming from!!!!
      Go juhar

26. Debela July 21, 2013 at 9:07 am

Jawar’s speech was clear for everybody. We Oromos understand what his talking. He is right. You can’t halt and distract him from doing and struggling for the Oppressed Peoples of Oromia. We, the oppressed people of Oromo , specially youngster are marched behind him. He and his friends our present gift of us ‘voicing for voiceless people’

We could not accept your idiot and backward idea in the name of ‘unity’ and ‘Ethiopianwinat’……Your uttered words and thoughts of ‘Ethiopiawinat’ as a county of ‘one language, one religion, one flag…….. has never room in the minds of the modern Oromos. That is already gone and passed away for ever never backed to the contemporary youngsters Oromos. I have advising you that before talking any thing about ‘unit’ and ‘ethiopianwinet’ defined ‘ first what ‘ Ethiopia and Ethiopiawinet is?

Ethiopia is a set and home of peoples with great diversity culture, religions, Ethiopians are Wolyita, Ethiopian are Gambela, Beneshanguel, Afar, Somali, Oromo, Amhara, Tigre………….

Oromos are not accept ‘Ethiopia’ and ‘ethiopiawnet’ that not full respect and accept the diversity, culture and above all the ethnicity equally for mutual interest. I am Oromo first and then………..

History teaches us Amharas are the historical enemy’s of Oromos. They hate the Oromos for doing nothing. They have no any ground place for hating. Whether they are educated or illiterate, they are the same when they came to the Oromos agenda.
    Habashas are always struggling day and night to distract back the Oromo’s struggle for self determination, freedom, justice, and democracy. The present chaos on Jawar’s stands from this reason.

Good bless you Jawar. Keep your doing for the Oromos and the oppressed peoples in Ethiopia and beyond.

27. Lencoo July 21, 2013 at 9:10 am

assalaamu Aleeykum warahmatullaahi wabarakaatuhu.

kabajamaa jaalatamaa Obbo jawaar
    yeroo ammaa kana dhugaan namaaf hin liqimfamtu namni dhugaa yoo dubbate diinni itti heddummaata, diinni immoo maqaa namaa xureessuuf wanni inni hin goone hin jiru, namni yoo si hin feene dhadhaa si diba osoo hin taane dhoqqee sitti dibuu yaala garuu immoo warroonni akkasii sun yoomuu hin milkaayan, gochi isaanii immoo akeeka kee irraa duubatti si hin deebisu.
    dhumarratti wayta Ati Al-jazeera irratti dubbattu san akka waan nu cufa keessaa dubbatteeti malee akka waan ufii keetii dubbataa jirtuu nutti hin fakkaanne kanaafuu nuuf jiraadhu.

28. Dado July 21, 2013 at 9:58 am

My bro, your hate couldn’t allow u to see what is going on in real terms…Do u think the separation of Oromia harms Ethiopia more than it harms Ormia? Plz talk to the numbers and the data. Forget your theory of 60%. If you are honest for yourself and thinking of creating prosperous and liberated Oromia, base your philosophy on the existing reality; not on denial. Let me tell you one fact, you may be including the wealth of Addis Ababa into Oromia’s contribution. Dont forget the wealth of Addis is the wealth of Ethiopia. Check for the share of Oromia from the wealth of Addis. The other thing is I usually hear you refering to the land area of Oromia. Have you ever known any country that grew by agriculture? Population may be an asset. But for it not to be a liability you need to have some preconditions in place; i dont think i have to tell you that. But still by separating from Ethiopia you will only lose the market… It is like going from 90 million to 32 million. I just want to call your attention to facts not illusions…

29. wuhibus July 21, 2013 at 10:06 am

Good to know you are abyssinian too.

30. Hussein ali July 21, 2013 at 10:27 am

Amaras are jelous people they do not like brilliant people from other ethinic group.i remember what happened once when kenenesa emerged as better athelet than haile.at that particular time the race was in the europe and the comantater of cfi tive asked one amahara diaspora what the name kenenesa means and he told the jornalist that kenenesa means good in amaharic. amazing amaras want the the rest of the world know ethiopia as a amara nation the cheat themselves first and try to cheat others.funny is’t it?.

31. Gurmessa July 21, 2013 at 10:52 am

Obbo jewar, I think there is no need of clarification for the Neftegna who are still now in feudal mentality. Garuu waanan sodaadhe tokko yoo jiraate Oromoo keessaa kan jecha ati itti fayyadamtetti kan gaddan baay’eetu jiru. kun immoo waljibba fida.Jechootni nuti itii fayyadamu “selective” ta’uutu iira jiraata.Siyaasa keessatti jechi tokko hiika baay’eetti kennamti.Keessumaa dubbiin Amantii immoo gaari miti. Gara fuulduraatti beekumsa siif haa ta’u jedhaeeni. Galatoomi.

• stand for justice August 26, 2013 at 8:38 pm

Gurmuu keeny dhugaa jatte gorsa gaaridhaa. Dogoggora keennya ni gorfanna/ sirreefannaa. Fedhiin jaratti kaabaa kunimmoo beekaa kan biraatii. Oromoo keessa namni tokko yoo mataa olqabate garaatu gubataa nama san akkahin deebinatti ballesssuu fedhanii.

32. lij July 21, 2013 at 11:38 am

Why donch u ignore them, all those r loosers bro Go head! they has always to disgrace ppl who come to the arena of ethiopian politics. this is what a diaspora ethiopian politics mean welcome to ethiopian daispora politics hahhaha Jawar Pls what am tell u and advice u is even u have not to respond for thiere damn shits just do what u can and u want to do bro as long as u respect the norm and the value of ur culture and society in ur home land just leave those looser Go head!!

33. Observer July 21, 2013 at 11:57 am

Jawar,
    We are relieved reading your sensible and rational explanation. You know you are one of the hopes, not only for Oromos but for all people in Ethiopia. Hearing a sensible political analyst something far from the truth is painful. For example, you said on Aljezira: “people are being imprisoned just because they speak their language” this is simply not true. Although there was cultural and language dominance, persecuting people because of their language has never happened throughout the history of Ethiopia. This is not to say there’s no oppression. The rulers attack all groups who are threatening their power, period! All the people including those who speak the languages of the rulers have been oppressed! Further,that Aljeziras show did not represent the views of all Oromos. it reflected more of OLF’s agendas.
    For sure, the majority Ethiopians support the struggle of Oromos to regain its dignity and freedom. Despite the general resentment, throughout history the Oromo has represented one of the major pillars of the country’s political economical and social phenomena. The struggle shouldn’t come at the expense of alienation of other people, distorting history and undermining their contribution and denying their own plight. The past should be history to learn a lesson from not an experience to be re-relived. There are people among both Oromos and non-Oromos/Amharas, who are trying to relive the past. Capable people like Jawar should be in a position to bring all parties together, create consensus and install peace, respectfulness and love among people.

34. ABISHEE July 21, 2013 at 12:10 pm

KAI OROMO!:
    WE Oromos never ever allow another breast cutting and beheaded again by sadistic mentally ill Naftegna thugs in any circumstances. In a recent memories the relationships between the Oromos and Naftegnas went badly damaged when in 1989 Gen. Demise Bulto killed and beheaded even by serving the ahmara regime for being an Oromo. Such barbaric ahmara culture did not stop the Oromo struggle for freedom and liberty, but as a response the Oromos sense of Oromummaa engulfed in every corner of Oromiyaa to firing up for our national destiny with NO compromise.
    As if that kind of the wounded relationships between Oromos and Ahmaras is not so enough, recently for being expressing our identity as an Oromo on Stream Al Jazeera, the ahmaras declared a war on Oromo nation and now an attempted to beheaded our another hero Abdi Fite . For us all Jawar, M.Ademo and Abdi Fite as the new generations our national treasury and hence any actions as a revenge against our historical enemies-Naftegna thugs , the Ahmara elites should take the responsibility that follows. when it comes to our national interest, Oromos are the best worriers to defend our selves from the savaged society as Ahmara elites do. Now our relationships between Oromos and Ahmaras being damaged beyond repair. At this time as I am in Dubai , I witnessed since for the last two weeks how our both societies even for those innocents it affected our relationships, but with our head up, we Oromos still defending ourselves, however as it seems if we arrive at attacking line, it will be the responsibility of Naftegnas.
    Therefore, We call up on all our Oromos to abandon any form of relationships with Ahmaras. As we heard Dr. Dimaa Nago will travel to South Africa to serve the Nategnas, we warn him for the consequences that will follow, surly a very bitter one!.
    @ for those paranoid naftegnas; MOMI, and others, we oromos never provoke anyone based on their origins, but if you are an ignorant for your root, your home is the South Arabian just consider yourself as only a guest!!.
    God bless our hero and heroines: Jawar, M.Ademo and Abdi Fite who are mobilising millions of Oromo daughters and sons.
    I am Oromo!

35. Observer July 21, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Debela…
    some of your statements seem to make sense….but then at the same time you contradict yourself….u say amaras are enemies of oromos..why u say so bro? this is simply prejudice and stereotypical. do not describe millions of people with one or some people’s behavior. everybody supports diversity…at this time no one would advocate one religion-one language notion. that is politics of the olden day. we love all the people, their cultures and values! the world is narrowing down more and more to a single village…in such scenario being fanatically ethnocentric and regionalist is uncivilized.

36. Guutuu July 21, 2013 at 1:41 pm

We Love you JUHAR MOHAMED and we respect you don’t listen those trash Killer Amharas, because even they never apologized oromo people for what they did to us in the past.

37. gracias July 21, 2013 at 1:51 pm

I think what you and others on your side didn’t know is a single statement can show your true identity. How many words you use in your clarification doesn’t explain your dumbness, backwardness stupidity? You never deserve to be an intellectual, a political analyst and an activist. You should be hidden in a cage with your fellow extremists and fundamentalists who have no idea how democracy and freedom work. You are so lucky that your fellow Oromos and of course many Ethiopians can easily be manipulated including the intellectual ones. At least any sane Oromo Christian would not forgive you. Go and play your game with your tiny head and entertain those alike tiny heads. Tired of listening your bullshit. I am ashamed of being counted with people like you who can speak and write good English but have a bad idea. You have no idea of nationalism and what it means. You have not yet digested what you studied in the politics and history of the world. Try to learn something great from the country you live in. I think I don’t need to advise you since your head is a tiny closed one where new ideas can’t be entertained. For that matter I am not Abyssinian as you calls them

38. Boona July 21, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Jawar,

Do you moderate your web page? How do you allow Amhara extremists to defecate on Oromos at this site. In your effort to appease them, you are making your web page a free-for-all Oromo bashers.

39. Fucker July 21, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Dear Jewhar,
    I wish you had died, rather than dealing in politics with this level of intelligence. I wonder how you get graduated from a university. Ofcourse, Al-Islam Gadafi has also been “Graduated’ from London school of Economics.
    Jewhar; It is still not late. Better to commit saucide or throw your self to the garbage of Extremist diaspora politics.

Shame on you; DEDEB sew asedabi. You took our value one step down.

• Chalew July 22, 2013 at 6:53 pm

It is beyond me to unstanderstand how narrow minded these Amharas are. These always been their culture. They can’t tolerate other people view,ideas. Go to hell with Ethiopia. They still live in 18th century,

• stand for justice August 26, 2013 at 9:12 pm

@ fucker you mother fucker do you want to slaughter Jawar as you used to commit slaughtering on Oromo women’s breast in Arsi? Don’t be so fool it will not be gonna happen again, rather you die with your Oromofobia.

40. xxx July 21, 2013 at 2:21 pm

Shut up! You Lair. You have already said it and the vedio is not edited.
    You are merely terrorist. You deserve to be caught and detained.

41. kuku July 21, 2013 at 2:21 pm

its always our mistake, when we get attention of the people we close for mistakes and faults. Start talk nonsense. We can not keep our good acceptance in the people its happen now in this man. He wants to become radical religious leader as well as political leader. But he start fall its impossible in mixed religious country, like Ethiopia. We do not have place for radical Muslim. We need the Ethiopian Muslim.

42. Firaanbon July 21, 2013 at 2:27 pm

The on-going attempt of dividing Oromos is a useless agenda that gonna enable you nothing. Oromos are united and stronger than you can imagine. I am a Christian Oromo and was laughing at the rubbish point you guys are trying to make. I love and respect Jawar and others for being voice for the voiceless. Jawar, I think this will rather encourage you to speak and write more and more about your people. God bless you and I am proud of you. You are only 27 but already millions of Neftegnas are threatened by the progress you are making in fighting for Oromos’ right and freedom. Waaqayoon siin wajiin haata’u.

43. Ibn Omer July 21, 2013 at 3:32 pm

Thank you Jawar for the clarification. Some of us understood the gist of your Minnesota speech as expressed in your current piece.

Jawar speaks from his heart – a quality that needs to be appreciated – and others need to emulate …

People, including I, are entitled to disagree with some of Jawar’s positions … but dialogue, where people are free to express themselves with out fear is the only way forward …

Ibn Omer

44. Baalcha July 21, 2013 at 3:38 pm

I am Oromo first, second, and even hundredth. God bless U Jawhar

45. Qeelloo July 21, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Hi Juwar
    Although the ignorance of Amhara chauvinists cannot be underestimated, your often guage-less political speed will also need to be reviewed. There are a number of occasions when you have over generalized fundamental issues just to gain cheap political popularity – that is a mere opportunism. For instance,’ you have made rubbish statements such as “oromummaa and Islamummaa” are inseparable. What a cheap conclusion just to get a clap from a group of people. It is an ignorance at its best and dangerous and divisive at its worse.

I am not an Amhara but an Oromo who does not believe in Oromummaa=Islamummaa, period! There were many oromos who have anticipated your futile political calculation at the early time as you commenced rushing from media to media , radio to radio. You cannot be everywhere brother. If you believe the Muslim movement is the way to go pls go ahead but don’t mix with oromummaa. Things of different substance do not mix together. We are tired of such sense less attempt. Corresponding oromo struggle to a religious movement should not be tolerated. Many gallant non Muslim oromos have paid for oromummaa and this timeless concept should not be secterialised.

• Chris Thomes October 24, 2013 at 10:24 pm

@ Qeelloo,
      Maal Obbo maal taatanii? yoo dhuguma oromummaan dhaqn kee keessa jiraate dabarsitee obboleessa kee hin kennitu turte; garuu natti hin fakkaatu. Yoo yaada isaatiin ykn jecha isaatiin mormita ta’e afaan qabna afaan keenyaan gorfachuu waaqayyotu jaallata. Ani makaa Habeshaa fi Oromoo kan baadiyaa Oromiyaa keessatti dhalate dha. Sirra waanan qabsoo Oromoo hubadhu natti fakkaata. Yoomiyyuu isan ta’ee dhaladheef utuu hin ta’in isan ta’ee guddadheefan dursa kenna. Kun na qofa ta’uu danda’a ykn nama lakkofsaan xinnoo. Utuu dhugumaa Oromoo taatee Afaan Oromoo dubbattee Yaada koo kanaaf Afaan Oromootiin naaf deebista.

• Chris Thomes October 24, 2013 at 10:26 pm

Ta’uu baannaan garuu, sobdee fakkeessaa jirta. Oromoo walitti naquuf; kanaafuu, iddoo hin qabdu.

46. LetUsAccuseJuwar July 21, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Juwar can be accused of terrorism act by what he said on the video. The court can proof whether the film has been edited. This is the country what the rule of law is respected. Less start facebook page called “Accuse Juwar”. People who think like that should learn from this lesson.

Oromo is ethnic group.
    Oromo is not religion.
    Unlike Juwar said,the two religions,Christianity and Islamism ,have respect each other in Ethiopia. Muslims shall not kill or slaughter Christians with Mencha!!!

• stand for justice August 26, 2013 at 9:43 pm

It is not the culture of Oromo to slaughter humanity but it is your culture and history to slaughter people because they have got something that you haven’t. This is exemplified by your ancestor’s cruelty manifested on the massacre committed on thousands of Oromo women. So how the son of Boucher/murderer like you have got the moral to accuse Jawar Mohammed, the younger and energetic political analyst one? Be clear that every act of defamation and allegation you Made against any uprising of Oromo activists further unify and help Oromo people to come to common goal.
      Oromo will never give up!!!!!

47. Abdi A. July 21, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Think and talk have no value if you do not change to practice. The Habeshe elites think and talk are nonsense. We all Oromos have the same view. I think they tried divide Oromo people according to their religion, but this impossible. Oromos one people, so they are not divided. I don’t know why the Habeshe don’t learn and understand this. Why the Habeshe shouldn’t wash their old view from their mind with water before they are asking for unity. Juwar is the son of Oromo, so all oromo people behind him and protect him. Oromos are not wary about the Habeshe’s politics.The Oromos cross the bridge when they come to it.

48. tn. July 21, 2013 at 9:45 pm

create a legal fund and put a lawsuit against esat radio! defeat is the only thing that will jolt the social psychology of entitlment that has been propagated for 100 years!

49. Habtamu July 22, 2013 at 12:05 am

What you sensed you have to answer to your rants and call to jihadi against Christian Ethiopians, and once it sank in the meaning of making this kind of statement in the country that had been attacked by Muslim fanatics not once but many times you understood what is in offing. That had compelled you to make the statement you made. Your rhetoric at the Minnesota meeting is not any different, although unbeknown to English langue speakers, than any radical Muslim terrorist preaches in most Arab countries. Now the underserved political “analyst” statue that you were striving to earn starts to slip away you come out to blow your smock screen to cover your violent incitation against Christian Ethiopians. What one needs to do is to get your speech translated by an authorized translator and get the copy to all ant-terrorist federal and state bodies here in America. No need to misstate your statements –just the facts as you sated theme. Habesha web also doing a big disservice by posting his non-apology apology. He can aspire to be secessions of any hue he wants but after he crossed the line by instigating violence against Ethiopians because of their religion beliefs he shouldn’t be given a platform to misstate his previous statements to continue his violent propaganda.

• habasha September 12, 2013 at 10:12 pm

Habtamu

I can see how much hate you have for Ethiopian Muslims in your comment. What’s the differences between you Amhara and Tigrie ruler Woyane. Both hate other religion and label them with lie, fabrication, drama, killings, torture, and jailing.
      Christian Ethiopians want to oppress, rule, exploite, label others falsely, and yet you play victim.
      Tell me one incident of terrorism in Ethiopian Muslims lands on Christian Ethiopians settlers? None.
      You are obssessed with these outdated labeles to carry on your killings on innocent human beings called Ethiopian Muslims.

50. Lencho Tola Robi July 22, 2013 at 12:18 am

Hello Oromo let us clamp our hand together for our young activist Jawar Mohammed. Really he is hero of the year and he will be hero forever. Having this my Oromo brother Jawar was not saying anything about religion at that time, rather than he was articulating about the relation between Muslim and Oromo struggle as we said. I am wetness because; I was carefully listen the original video. Even if he was speak about the religion, no matter for Oromo struggle, if we have enough patience for each other rather than pointing the finger to each other. No more religion is the problem for Oromo people struggle. We are single Oromo people with different religion. We learnt from the past history how much evil habasha system use religion to divide us. So, I kindly request Oromo people who are religious, as have keep their religious thought out of Oromo struggle. Again, no problem if somebody belief whatever he/she wants it is out of Oromo and Oromummaa business. I would like to ask you all of you about something, are habasha belief by God or Allah? If yes, why they marginalize human being? Can the Quran or bible allow marginalizing human being? No, therefore, they are shouting for marginalization rather than concerning for religion. Anyway dear Jawar don’t worry for what you were did about the Meca garamale. Yes it is true if they insult us being we are following some religion we well cut their neck. Why they insult us? Who they are. I am Waakefata if they insult me being I am waaqefata I will kill them by whatever weapon I have in my hand. Also, when they teach in the church by saying “Ethiopian is the Island of Christianity” who asked them? Therefore, why they ask us to do so? My dear you are hero don’t regret for what you did so far. You are Oromo first forever; we don’t know their false and empty Unity or Ethiopiawinet. Be careful don’t inter in negotiation with this evil habasha again, they would like to paralyze or torch Oromo intelligent. Again tell them, as they have to learn from us tolerance and love to live with us.

My Waaqaa my bless Oromia and Oromo

I am Oromo first false Ethiopian is imposed on me by force. We will say again and again following you.

51. LetUsAccuseJuwar July 22, 2013 at 1:51 am

Hello Lencho

You wrote what you felt but do you know that it is illegal to say that you are going to kill people because they insulted you? Why don’t you ask or accuse them ? But by any means, people like Juwar are the cause of such a rubbish thing and I hope we are going to accuse him. And It will be a lesson for those who are on the same activities. Let us what will happen.

52. Guyyaasaa July 22, 2013 at 2:01 am

Thank you Jawar for taking your time to explain more what has already been clear to all right minded people. Some extremist haters who hate the Oromo people and the struggle they wage for their own freedom always take statements out of context and continue to attack the Oromo people and their elite using any pretext. We know this latest attack against you and other freedom fighter is part and parcel of the same futile attempt to silence the Oromo people and those who speak up for them or on their behalf. As you articulated eloquently, the Oromo struggle has been through this and even harder situations countless times and has always come on the top. We have come a long way overcoming small and big hurdles. Our struggle is bearing fruit and the fruits are out there for everyone to see. We are making progress slowly but surely and our goal is now within sight thanks to our heroes and heroins who sacrificed their lives and made this possible. Our struggle for freedom, justice and democracy and our freedom fighters have never entreated a blessing from anybody let alone from our sworn enemies who are skilled among others in malicious attack and character assassination against our heroes and heroins. No sober Oromo expects a blessing from our enemies and no sober Oromo would allow his/her statements cleared by our enemies before he/she says it. No Oromo would allow to be silenced by anyone. That is the very essence of our struggle for freedom, justice and democracy. The media campaign by abyssinian media outlets against you or others who speak up the truth is just another futile exercise. Thanks to the Oromo heroes and heroins we have plenty of Oromo media around the world to exchange views and we do not need the abyssinian run media and hence we do not need their blessing to struggle for our freedom. We have never needed one and we will never need it in the future, Keep up the marvelous job bro and we stand by you and we stand together. We wage our struggle for freedom, justice and democracy not because of the will of our enemies but despite their incessant attack and effort to eliminate us from the face of the earth. Aluta Continua and WE WILL PREVAIL!!! Thanks Jawar.

53. Mario July 22, 2013 at 2:08 am

The current row/controversy between Jawar and his “adversaries” has helped greatly woyane/TPLF divide and rule/conquer policy integrated in the ethnic-based federal system more than any time. All the rest of us are losers.

All they (woyane/TPLF) do is prepare a blueprint on whatever is to be done on their part. Then, it is the rest of us who execute, fulfill, accomplish and finalize their plan/business. If Oromos and Amharas finish each other, who is to benefit? Or, need Oromos be used as a check-mate against Amharas and vice versa for the grand plan of woyane/TPLF’s to hang onto power as long as needed?

Have we realized that? Or, we don’t care as long as we say whatever we want to say. Jawar has spoken as everybody did. He has apologized for his wrongs in the speech. That must be greatly appreciated. Now it is time for all of us to move on.

54. gurba July 22, 2013 at 8:25 am

You are as great as ever! Keep up the good work! Bunch of haters and stupids can never defame you!

55. AB July 22, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Pls think as a 20th century man. Tebabinet won’t get us anywhere. If we fought for our respective freedoms (oromo, amhara, tigree, ogaden, debub, chirstian, islam, liberal …. the list has no end) non of us can be free. Why don’t you fight for freedom of Ethiopia and let everyone live on their will. Why is USA such a great country? Why is European Union created? You live in a free world but preach your country men not to tolerate each other and fight in the name of religious and ethnic freedom.

56. BTumsa July 22, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Dear Jawar,

You are heard loud! Even those people who are trying to defame and wrongly paint you deep-down knows that you are telling the truth. Always remember your voice is not just yours, it is the voice of the majority and is inline with recorded history. More than all, experience shows us defamation and character assassination targets people of character and identity. So, feel confident that you are targeted because you are doing something right which the wrong doers donot what to be heard or uncovered. My lovely bro also remember, in journalism they say “there is no bad publicity”. Even their attempt to character assassinate you will end being something positive for you. Finally, I would like to say keep working hard though my advice for you would be something like “intalli haadha ciniinsuu gorsite” jedhu mitiire. So, you know better what hard-working takes! Young Oromo generation highly aspire and adore you. Personally, what I like most about you is that your political view and objective is not to serve any particular political party’s interest. Please keep that identity of yours intact. From whatever the party may be. There can be overlap in idea with certain political parties (which is natural and inherent to politics), but donot change you personal political view just to confirm with a wider political organization. You are the voice of the nation, not of any political party. That is all.

57. Steven Thomas July 22, 2013 at 1:57 pm

I think your integrity and humanity shine through in this essay, Jawar. I hope that everyone can commit to honest, reasoned debate and respect for all points of view without resorting to lies and name-calling.

58. lataa July 22, 2013 at 2:36 pm

Jewar,may God bless you. We all Oromos are behind you. Do not go back, no apology for no doing mistake, instead they should ask you forgiveness blaming you for speaking truth and also you do not need to tell your own personal staff , even if you speak for religion freedom nothing is wrong with that you did’nt say this or that religion has be supperior than the others .For habesha everything Oromos said that they didn’t know is like dividing Ethiopia “I,m oromo oromo ” first nothing wrong with that thetoo , if even if you wanted to be Ethiopia, you must be Oromo first first first. It is like a ladder from bottom to top the habsh do not understand. ” habesh amhara first in their organization and among themselves and they say verbally and on media Ethiopia first just to mislead us. Stand firm and strong.

59. Kelbesa July 22, 2013 at 3:26 pm

60. dhufu July 22, 2013 at 5:22 pm

The people who make others to get scared is the neftenya kids born in Hararghe, like that of Tedela and orthers from Moresh. As christian who lived in harar, Manca is used as a pride to talk a cultural joke as Shewa oromo pride in dula. Therefore, knowningly, this cultural pride value of jokes with menca in haraghe these neftenya boys defame and misled the people. I know these people are the same with TPLF.
    Jawhar has always been for peaceful protest and he defended Ethiopian unity.
    The thing is the ” fake Ethiopianist” guys want to fight Oromo people through Jawhar which will be deadly. You fight Oromo you are done with Ethiopia, you better know that.
    Jawhar dont worry we know the nefenya kids plan for all of us. ” They want to return to thier greetness” when our fathers were tenents for them and a translater is needed to go to thier courts.
    Oromo keep fighting till the end

61. Dave Jimma July 22, 2013 at 6:11 pm

Key points for Jawar!
    First, we thought you are struggling for better Ethiopia but now we understood that you are working to divide our country in terms of religion and ethnicity. Your way is completely the same way like Woyane. You extended the life span of EPRDF by weakening the unity of opposition. Whether you believe or not, you also turned the freedom o’clock to a minimum of 10 years back.

Hello fellow Oromos and Muslims: It is hopeless. Don’t waste your time while clamping hands behind a died body because Jawar yemitlut card tebeltual, lela card kalachihu chaweta qetlu.

62. Future July 22, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Well let me start to educate the educated Mr Jawar seems to be highly educated very modern and forward thinking but on the other side he also looks like the very young people roaming the streets of addis addicts to khat and hypothetical discussion over that wont take anyone anywhere.

i would like to ask Mr Jawar as a Stanford educated scholar can you show us a way that Oromiya would be free with out a single blood shade give us a road map now and stop talking and work on a peacfull road map to justice and equallity for your people ok forget about other Ethiopians but what is your ROAD MAP for freedom how do you want to start a nation called oromiya. what would be the criteria for borders,nationality what would you do about “settlers including oromos in other regions believe it or not there are many in BNGRS and Somali Regions.
    Give us the ROAD MAP with out blood shade we expect this from a stanford educated person like you not some trash talk of we will do this and that I am sure i will be hammered for my comments but i promise i will only come back to this page IF MR JAWAR posts an answr on a road map for peacefull annexation of OROMIYA

63. habasha July 22, 2013 at 9:12 pm

Observer
    I read your comments on Amhara web site, the most islamophobics site called nazret.com (not adama.com).
    Your comments were so extreme, fanatic, and hate of Ethiopian Muslims. 99% of comments on nazret web are hate against Muslims.
    Well, here you act like angel, secular and professor. But I know your double sword.
    You don’t believe in freedom of religion, justice, equality for all. You crave for the old system of one religion, one culture to come back. Dream mr dreamer. Stop your sugar coated poison here.

64. nure July 22, 2013 at 11:37 pm

klion. lion. Jawer made earthquake in naftagna false political viw by onily one word

65. habasha July 23, 2013 at 5:44 am

Qeelloo
    Prior to Menlik rule there was no a single Amharanize Coptic Oromo. Do you know Menlik converted your ancestors by force to his traditional religion.
    For me your Coptic religion doesn’t bother me. You can worship cave, angel, woman, even stone. What Jawar pointed out was majority rules minority principle. Majority Oromos are Muslims and highly educated in their Islamic religion. Woyane preys on those Muslim Oromos just like Amharas did for a century.
    So do not be offended if Jawar put the fact on the ground. In fact you should stand should to shoulder with your brother/sister Oromos irrespective of your religion.
    Fight blunders, discrimination, oppression and not defending your new religion for no reason.

66. Qeelloo July 23, 2013 at 9:22 am

Hi Habasha
    Our biggest problem lies with those people who write about the concept and fact they understand very little. You accused me of being Coptic Christian , a mere fabrication! You have no evidence to associate me with such a religion. It appears that you wrote just out of the blue to paint yourself of person who can understand facts, history and current political impasses. People like you are more dangerous to our cause than those opposites who knew what they want. The fact that you asserted only Islam belongs to oromo is shows nothing but your ignorance. In my opinion you are more suited to ordinary chat over the khat than to political analysis over the internet. People of your caliber are more of a liability than asset to the oromo cause.

Let me make one thing crystal clear – as far as i am concerned, oromos are not fighting a religious war and any inclination towards such a prognosis should be treated as early as possible. You assertion is baseless, senseless and unfounded blemishes and they are not helpful to our cause. Calling somebody Coptic without knowing that person background does not even deserve this short response, let alone deep political debate.

My earlier message to Juwar was this – you cannot forge popularity simply for popularity sake. You need to know and balance your statements carefully specially if they are political. Equating oromummaa with islamummaa is a political statement and completely futile in my opinion. Your description of majority vs manority dichotomy is very shortsighted.

Oromia should be a home for 21c people where everyone has the right to live by his religion. Oromia is a home of many religions some you may know some you do not. It looks like the only religion you have heard so far is Coptic Christian – I hope you are not a refugee through Egypt because that is the closest country to oromia where Coptic is practised.

I believe in one thing strongly brother – religious war is a
    war that ignorant fights. It is the war you cannot win. It is against peoples core believe, it is dehumanising the other, it is like claiming the highest moral value over the others -it is self ragesiousness. That is not the value for which our gallant brothers were sacrificed. This has nothing to do with the simplistic village politics – the Coptic verse Islam you alluded to.

For me freedom is not only from selfish Abyssinian oppressors but also from the backward values some of us trying to brew in our backyard

Hope someone will help you to write a better argument – your Coptic allegation is a failure and has nothing to do with me.

Wishing you the best

• habasha July 27, 2013 at 12:00 am

Qeeloo
      Brother cool down. Nothing I said was offending.
      Coptic religion introduced to Tigrai by Egyptian/Syrian Coptic merchants (and not by prophet Jesus) in the 4th century. Tigrai passed it on to Amhara who are now fanatic and not to Oromos. I just tried to show you the trend of the history making.
      Equating Oromo with Islam is not futile unless you are Islamophobics. Do you know Othodox and other religions followers prey on Oromo’s poor children, old, women, etc by ruining their identity, their culture, their existence and so on as Jawar said. Their target is Islam in Oromo. This is dangerous for the country. I said diversity in religion is an asset for the country but forcefully converting them like in Menlik time is crime.
      Those missionaries never dare to prey on educated Muslim Oromos. On the other side of the coin most of time you see in Ethiopia and in the world at large most of converted Christians are highly educated and were volunterly means no missionary involved.
      For me it doesn’t matter if you’re Othodox or other religion.
      Oromo Muslims, ORomo pente or Orthodox are all Oromos. I’ve never advocated divisions as you said. You twisted my words may be unknowingly or misunderstood the content of it.

67. fuee cool July 23, 2013 at 12:59 pm

viva johar mohammed we understand you. Those who hate u are those who hate the oromo people and who hate democracy and equality
    We all
    Oromos are behind you. Do not
    go back, no apology for no doing
    mistake, instead they should ask
    you forgiveness blaming you for
    speaking truth and also you do
    not need to tell your own
    personal staff , even if you speak
    for religion freedom nothing is
    wrong with that you did’nt say
    this or that religion has be
    supperior than the others .

68. Oro-Ama July 23, 2013 at 1:41 pm

I like what Kelbesa wrote, “I never knew that the Oromo people, whom I used to think were talented and matured, were so short-sighted and do not recognize what is good and bad for them. It doesn’t pay to talk about the past and earn hatred though it’s good to learn from and correct it. It is, however, worth to think forward and try to build friendship with the Amharas or whichever ethnic group it be in order to build a better Ethiopia. It won’t be at a benefit of anyone, be it economically, socially or politically, to separate and be alone. Did it help Eritrea? It does not also pay to talk hatred and to label the current Amharas as bad people for whatever their gr8 gr8 fathers did to our fathers. Please be reminded that our ancestors also did a lot of bad to the Amhara people and to the settlers. Although I hate what the Amharas did to our fathers and grandparents, I like the attitude and sentiment of most of the young Amharas today. And my dear Oromo brothers, please do not feel that you are brave or whatever by talking or writing hatred on a media, this WILL NOT MAKE YOU ONE. This hatred and similar talks is affecting our Oromo and Amhara brothers in the countryside. By the way, I do not think that there is any ethnicity in Ethiopia as intermingled and inter-married as the Amahara and Oromo people. Who are the Amhara people that we hate: the amhara wife of my father? My half-amhara girlfriend? Your neighbor? Please make a halt and let’s think about the reality and the implementation of whatever we are talking about. I am sure some of my friends will group me as Neftegna from now BUT I wrote what I feel is true and what I believe in. LONG LIVE OROMO LONG LIVE ETHIOPIA!!!!!”

69. muslim July 23, 2013 at 7:23 pm

brother Juhar a really muslim man is not tryibalizm and racist so dont mix islam and tribal poletics you have to choose one either strugling for islam or for oromo especially while u are living in 21 century

70. muslim July 23, 2013 at 7:39 pm

@ kilbisa your so educated and the modern kind of man may allah bless you i satsfied on comments

71. Abishee July 23, 2013 at 8:16 pm

Dear Mr. Respected Mario,
    I do appreciate your long term vision as a way out from our status quo to a democratic diversity society either in a federative or confederative within the rule of law and equal justice for all, but we are facing the mountain of difficulties against such move by Ahmara elites/Naftegnas/ who oppose any change unless it favours ONLY the Ahmara interest. Ahmara interest is only to keep the Ahmara supremacy over others interns of culture, politics and economy and religion- even the priests must be an Ahmara otherwise as an evil if you are from Non- Ahmaras . So how none- Ahmaras can make an strategical alliance with Ahmaras ?. For the best example both Dawit Kebede and Jawar M. Tried their best as a common engagement with Ahmaras for strategical alliance, but being a Tigray and Oromo respectivel, Dawid became a zero from hero while Jawar became the most evil on earth by expressing himself as an Oromo. What is the wrong in it?, for sure Ahmaras are using the name Ethiopia as only a trade Mark , but in reality they expressing themselves as Ahmara . Tony Blair as the prime Minster of the Uk did no hide his identity as a Scottish rather it accepted as a diversity for strength while in our country it is a taboo for the ahmaras. Therefore, Mario thanks to Ahmara chauvinism it is a too gridlock for strategical coopertion, but other oppressed nations and nationalities should find a common alliance salvo Ahmaras !.

72. Sodo July 24, 2013 at 1:35 am

Jawar is oromos proud son. God bless you, we love you Jawar.

73. hagos July 25, 2013 at 4:02 am

If all that have been said and posted about you is not true as your missive tried to refute, then you should have presented your version of documented video to vindicate yourself. Your rebuttal is short of convincing anyone except your blind followers.

74. Pingback: Eskinder Nega and Serkalem Fasil: Hate-mongers or Oppressed Journalists? | The Habesha Times

75. habasha July 27, 2013 at 11:01 am

Jawar
    What went wrong with Amharas? They are the only tribe in Ethiopia may be Amharanize Oromos too who embark on you for defending the fact and true history.

Mr Ahmed and Martin from American University wrote an article on Oromo. They too became a target of this tribe.

May be they think as their feudal rulers thought them that Ethiopia belongs only to one tribe, one religion. It’s hard for them to dialogue on true history instead they jump on attack wagon, defaming, etc.
    This is not a healthy way for this fragile country that was tailored together by Menelik. Somali, Afar, and Oromo are completely different from Northern in everything.
    You said it right Ethiopiawinet was not your choice but imposed on you.
    You have absolute right to express your idea. They don’t want hear anything bad about them. They are unique people in Africa.

I wish they become like us to learn take the heat from others for over a century.

76. Gadaa Margaa July 27, 2013 at 4:06 pm

I am first OROMOO; OROMOO; OROMOO; …… NOT Ethiopia or not habesha.
    Jawar is oromos proud son. God bless you, we love you Jawar Because he is our real intellectual son. Juwar there is no need of clarification for those arrogant and blind habesha. Habesha i tell you one reality weather you like or not, OROMIA will liberate by the blood of OROMOO NATION, it is only a matter of time, i hope that time is know coming.
    INJIFONON KAN UMMATA OROMOOTTI!!!
    OROMIYAAN NI BILISOMTTII!!!

77. Pingback: autonomousoromia | Typologies of National-isms in Ethiopia

78. Pingback: Typologies of National-isms in Ethiopia - Ayyaantuu News Online

79. Pingback: Typologies of National-isms in Ethiopia | Oromo Freedom News and Views

80. gutuu August 2, 2013 at 7:37 am

we proud of jawar mohammed and all oromos on the world.what amaras have tried to kill abdii fite was very sad. they should think for amaras who live in oromiya,

81. Pingback: STRUGGLING INJUSTICE IN OROMIA

82. habeshawinete August 4, 2013 at 9:00 am

people try to believe in REALITY. i appriciate jawar

83. tafese hailu August 4, 2013 at 9:05 am

am amhara but i dont like what previous amhara done on oromo ethnic group.

84. gurageew September 16, 2013 at 10:47 pm

i am gurage and i will stand for the legitimate oromo peoples freedom strugle.the same goes for all opptessed peoples. but i am wondering it is not the amharas commenting against the oromo…it is not the muslim opposing…they are the zumbi woyanes destructing the issues.the smartness and masterism of the amhara over oromo is maliciously activated by the son of the “bandas”/woyane to incite hatered among the all oppressed nation.free oromo,free the amhara,free the muslims,free the churches…..free the nation.

85. gurageew September 16, 2013 at 10:57 pm

by the way
    what did jawar said about amharas delivering his speech?ebakachu woyanewoch zor belulen.egna endenante baryanet anchelebetem/banda/………ahun degmo zemrnawi lemrna jemerachu?YEMELES FOUNDATION…..wuy meche new lemena metakomut…lemagnoch.

86. Oromo founder of democracy January 6, 2014 at 11:33 am

Dear Mr.JUWAR DON’T BOTHER WITH THOSE ARROGANT AND IGNORANT GUYS WHO WANT TO HIDE THE TRUTH.TALKING ABOUT OROMO CULTURE IS NOT TERRORISM BUT IT IS HEROESIM.
    VIVA JAWAR! YOU ARE MY ROLE MODEL.

87. Sasahu January 29, 2014 at 9:10 am

Jawar,

The best way for you to correct your speech is just to tell us that you had been in a state of euphoria (Merkana) from Khat (Catha edulis) while delivering that speech and just ask excuse. I am just to help hahaha.

You are real moron; do you think this rhetoric holds water?

88. jebaa Biyya March 8, 2014 at 8:30 am

all amharas to now one thing 1st who u are to tell good and bad for oromos,what is ur concern in our question,why u bother for as? for what?
    we now badly ur arrogant behavior and shameful poverty, u now what? currently when one person become harshly stupid and think bad about persons,…..labeled as Amhara in campus(University) this how u become neglected people…………viva jawahar amhara will leav with BEGERS (limena)

89. jiga April 8, 2014 at 6:22 pm

This is not the case, you always racially attack either the whole Amharas or Tigres, I don’t know how you learn all this hatred against people. You use the proud name oromo for your political agenda. how come you don’t know the difference between people and government? nobody in Ethiopia chose their own government so you can not blame no one this time meles is dead, Minilik is dead, tplf is all the source of evil but you will do the same if you get the chance.